Living & studying in Amsterdam

If you study architecture in Amsterdam, you might also want to live in Amsterdam. Do bear in mind that the Dutch capital is a very popular place to live and study, so we recommend that you start looking for suitable accommodation as soon as possible. On this page, we would like to give you more information and tips on how to find affordable accommodation.

In Amsterdam and the surrounding areas, you can find a room or a house via the municipalities, housing corporations, special institutions or private individuals.

As a student you are responsible for finding a room yourself.

Please consult the website of the municipality of Amsterdam for more information about living in Amsterdam.

Accommodation in Amsterdam

A room via official bodies such as the municipality and housing corporations

  • StudentenWoningWeb – Housing corporations (De Key, DUWO and Ymere) with rooms and flats for students publish their offers on this website. You pay a one-off registration fee of €38, after which you are allowed to respond to any of the offers.
  • In addition to independent accommodation for students, Ymere also offers the option of renting temporary housing that is set to be demolished or renovated.
  • The Student Hotel (TSH) has more than 700 rooms that can be let to both Dutch and international students. The length of stay can vary from 1 week to 10 months. Permanent accommodation is not possible. Check out: Amsterdam City or Amsterdam West.
  • The municipality of Amsterdam has produced a housing guide for students. This guide explains how to find accommodation in Amsterdam, but also provides information on what to look for.
  • At ROOM, you can find student rooms in Amsterdam, Delft, The Hague, Deventer, Leiden, Haarlem or Wageningen. You can register if you are 16 years or older.
  • ASVA studentenunie mediates between landlords and students who are members of the union.
  • WOON! gives residents information and advice on letting and buying, among other things. It is an independent non-profit foundation, partly subsidised by the municipality. They help people who are looking for housing through mediation with housing corporations in case of difficulties. However, this is not their core work.

Rooms from private landlords

You can rent a room from a private landlord – for example through a letting agency, in a student house or with a family. This is called ‘house sharing’ and is subject to strict rules in Amsterdam. A landlord must have a permit for this.

There are two important legal rules to bear in mind when it comes to ‘house sharing’:

  • each resident must have their own rental contract with the landlord;
  • you must be permitted to register your room address with the municipality. Not permitted? Then the landlord is probably letting the room illegally. The ASVA student union provides more information about this (see above).

There are also legal rules for renting a room from a landlady.


Illegal landlords are active. Do not pay ‘key money’: a payment demanded before you can enter the house. It is not permitted by law to ask for key money.

However, it is customary and legally permitted to ask a deposit from a new tenant; you will get this money back if you leave the house in good order at the end of your tenancy.

More information from DAS, a legal service provider.

Renting a room during a stay abroad

Students going on an exchange or an internship abroad who want to sublet their room or rent a room themselves can do so via the website Read more about this initiative.

Other housing options for students

PLEASE NOTE: due to coronavirus restrictions, registration procedures may be different in 2021 than usual. Check the relevant websites in good time!

Short Stay by De Key now also available for Dutch students

Due to the coronavirus crisis, Dutch students can now apply for temporary rooms provided by De Key housing corporation, which are normally only let to international students. The monthly rent for these rooms varies between €360 and €800, depending on the type of room.

The fixed rental period for these rooms runs from 27 January 2021 to 26 July 2021. Unfortunately, it is not possible to extend the contract after that. You can terminate your contract with a notice period of one month.

Students from the AHK can apply for Short Stay rooms from De Key housing corporation via an online application form provided by the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Hogeschool van Amsterdam (HvA).

Application procedure for the AHK student:

  1. apply with your own student registration number;
  2. when registering online, indicate that you are studying at “Other” faculty;
  3. use your AHK email account to register.

Rent subsidy

Do I qualify for rent subsidy?

Would you like to live on your own, but find it almost impossible to afford now that you no longer have the benefit of a student grant? In some cases, you can apply for rent subsidy.

What is rent subsidy?

Rent subsidy is an allowance for rental costs that is paid out by the national government. It allows every eligible Dutch person to afford to pay rent for a house.

When are you eligible?

On the national tax authority’s website you will find all the information you need about the conditions for receiving rent allowance and how to apply for it.

You can use a test calculator on there, to estimate how much the tax authorities are likely to pay you. After you have done the test calculation, you can submit your application via the Tax and Customs Administration’s website, using “my benefits”. You will then receive a message from the Tax Authorities whether you are entitled to rent allowance and how much, if any, you will receive. You can also receive rent allowance retrospectively, so if you were entitled to rent allowance the previous year but did not receive it, you can still apply for it.